November 1, 2012

Where to start for filing a federal claim for home or business

The very first thing to do to get your claim started is to call your local EMA Director:

Narragansett EMA              Judy Christofaro, Assistant                      789-1000
South Kingstown  EMA       Stephen Alfred, Director                          789-9331  ext.1201

The second is to call the United Way at  211 (like 411, or 911, but for RI assistance information). They will help offer services and track total numbers of claims to provide to FEMA, which ultimately helps the state get adequate federal funds released.

Don't forget, you will also need to file with your own private insurance company. Document all the lost and damaged items. Be as precise as possible, better to have more information than find out you did not have enough. 

All questions should be directed to 211. 

2-1-1 Call Center

United Way 2-1-1 in Rhode Island is working closely with federal, state and local individuals and organizations to help Rhode Islanders affected by Hurricane Sandy.

2-1-1 is the fastest and easiest way to get information when you need it, especially during a natural disaster such as Hurricane Sandy. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This service will give you access to resources across your community, whether you need to get help - for you, for a family member or for a friend - or want to help and you will be connected to the services or information you need.  This service is confidential, free, and available in multiple languages.  Information is also available online at

For individuals needing food, shelter, transportation, or other human service needs, Rhode Islanders are encouraged to call 2-1-1.  For businesses, it is important to call 2-1-1 to report any damage to your business to assist in the process of applying for federal relief funds.

If you are able to volunteer to assist others or offer resources, you are also encouraged to dial 2-1-1.  For situations involving any immediate threat to the health and welfare of residents, individuals should immediately call 9-1-1.